01 May Over Spend Management
As of the 1st October 2018, new Ofcom legislation went live, it states:
“all mobile providers must give the option to limit the cost of bills to new customers and to any existing customers who agree to extend their contract or enter into a new contract.”
This means that prior to signing a contract every network (EE, O2, Vodafone and Three) and 3rd party re-seller must highlight and discuss the option to implement bill spend caps on your account against each individual user.
The aim of this legislation is to put in place protective measures that reduce the amount of unchecked overcharging by the networks.
From a business perspective it enables the following:
- protects you from being hit with large unexpected charges on the business mobiles
- apply different spend caps dependant on role from junior to senior dependent on their responsibilities and requirements
- identify users repeatedly abusing the business mobile
- inform the most appropriate tariff for individuals based on their changing usage
This will improve the cost-effectiveness on your account ensuring there are no excessive overspend beyond what you have agreed.
It covers the use of your mobile phone to send text messages, make calls and use data in the UK and whilst roaming.
Your options are:
- No over spend – pay your monthly line rental charge and no more
- Spend cap set to a pre-determined amount e.g. £20, £100 or more
- Opt out of spend management altogether
If you set a spend cap, you will be notified by the network when you hit the overspend limit – each network has their own arrangement, some will notify you prior to hitting the cap others just at the point of hitting the limit.
It can be changed at any time or turned off completely, any changes will be effective in the next billing month.
Be aware that certain
App, In app purchases and online shopping are not applicable.
To access the Ofcom site, please click here.